In 2010 the Friends of Darwen Cemetery became aware of a broken war memorial that contain one column of 10 names and another column of 11 incomplete names.
After careful and detailed research the FODC have been able to identify that the memorial came from the Redearth Road Primitive Methodist Church that stood on the site now occupied DACA. The Church was demolished in 1964 and the memorial was placed in the cemetery for safekeeping. The original memorial listed 31 names and was unveiled in 1921.
Brent Stevenson Memorials is restoration the memorial and this will be placed in DACA. A commemorative stone for this memorial will be unveiled on Sunday August 3rd, at 2.30pm and Gwen and Allan Hampson, formerly of Darwen, have funded this work.
The FODC will be producing a booklet on the memorial that will contain a pen portrait of each of the men listed on the memorial. This will be available when the memorial is unveiled.
Tony Foster FODC May 2014