The Friends of Darwen Cemetery (FODC) was set up in 2010 as a voluntary and charitable body to work for the benefit of the town of Darwen.
The group aims to work with the borough council and local agencies to improve the condition of the cemetery.
The Friends aim to:
- Provide a forum for Darwen Cemetery visitors to participate in discussions and activities.
- Preserve and improve Darwen Cemetery.
- Promote the historical, environmental and cultural significance.
- Investigate the biodiversity potential for cemeteries.
- Communicate its work to elected members, other agencies and groups and members of the community.
- Encourage community participation in its work, especially by the youth of the town
We hope that you will soon be one of our friends.
First impressions are important but as you can see Darwen Cemetery is in need of a great deal of restoration.It could be said that a town or community is judged on how it respects its forefathers: the people interred in Darwen Cemetery represent our heritage, those who built the prosperity, those who worked hard in the mills and factories and those who gave their lives in the ultimate sacrifice.We hope that the Friends of Darwen Cemetery will bring dignity, respect and create an environment of tranquility, peace and contemplation and that the lasting impression will be of hope and optimism as we pass on the history of our town to younger minds and hearts.
Friends of Darwen Cemetery Constitution
‘At the AGM on 23rd March 2011 a new and improved Constitution was adopted. FODC are applying for charitable status and the changes have been made to comply with the Charity Commission’s requirements. The FODC Committee members will become Trustees and the new longer Constitution includes rules for Trustees.’
FODC Child Protection